Thursday, June 3, 2010

Switzerand Day 1 & 2

Day 1-
The first day in Switzerland was very exciting. After a long and exhasting flight from Washington, we arrived in the city of Geneva. The first new thing I noticed was the cars! I have always been a car person and I just loved seeing all the new and tiny cars over here. The taxis of course were all Mercedes... immediately showing me a little about the life in the city. We then left, or attempted to leave Geneva- it took a couple tries to get out of the traffic of the city. The drive was long, so we stopped in Ouchy near Lausanne on a part of Lake Geneva. It was so beautiful, so we grabbed a bite to eat from the town bakery. We discovered the Olympic headquarters along with several museums along the way.



Our second stop was in Fribourg- a larger town, but very spectacular. My dad and I took a walk down to old Fribourg, under the bridge and down to the river- such an amazing sight to see! At this point I was growing quite tired, but I had to keep myself awake to keep up with the time difference. Luckily the driving on windy roads at 100 kilos an hour kept me wide awake!



We finally arrived at our first destination- as we planned to stay in a bed and breakfast in the Swiss German part of Switzerland.



It was called Ober Maggenberg and the B&B was just a typical Swiss farm in the middle of the country. The people there were so nice to us and showed us around the farm- a lot of cows, chickens, horses, cats and dogs along with all the smells! It was still early in the day so I decided to ride to keep awake. I ended up seeing some old ruins down in the forest and found a path which seemed abandoned. After the steep descent I found a secret single-track, EPIC riding, unfortunately all downhill so I had to hike back up :( Overall a successful day!



Day 2-
BREAKFAST- oh the best thing about this country! I have never eaten so much bread and cheese in my life! Our hosts spread out an amazing meal for us in the morning and I nearly ate the whole plate of cheese :) I rode to Phlaffaien to check out the riding near the race course and met up with my dad who rented a bike at Mahu. We ended up riding the course several times and I LOVED it. If only I could race... but it was very intimidating. I just wish I could take some of this sweet down hilling back with me :) After a great ride, we drove over to Gryeres for some touristy fun.




Lunch was good in the castle walls and we lucked out, getting a tour of the castle while it was pouring rain outside. As we were leaving the city, we asked an information booth about the chocolate factory in Broc, the next town over. She told us the last tour was in ten minutes, so we RAN to the car, drove 100 kph to Broc and got the last tour of the day! I can’t decide if this was the best decision.... :) The tour was good- kind of cheesy, typical Americans would love it, but at the end of the tour they took us to this big “sampling” room.


Of course I had to try one of every kind of chocolate.... :) I was eating so much chocolate I don’t think I could taste it after a while. What do they expect when they put 200 of every kind of chocolate in a room with me?! :D Ah well I definitely think the stomach ache was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment